Friday, December 17, 2010

Eating out and then some.

So, most of the time, you hear people ragging on how badly eating out is. And usually that's true. Portions at chain restaurants like Chili's tend to be huge and swimming in some sort of sauce. But I think there are certain rare exceptions, especially when you eat at little mom=and-pop whole-in-the-wall type places.

I had this revelation yesterday when my boyfriend and I went to this little Mediterranean place. It's both import shop and restaurant. They have these nice "platters" if you will, which are great because they incorporate a little of everything. And as I was eating my lunch, it occurred to me this meal was probably actually pretty healthy. It consisted of kibbi, which is meat and bulgar wheat, tabbouleh, hummus with a pita, grape leaves stuffed with meat, and falafel. Nothing was horrible overfried, there were a lot of vegetable on my plate, and there was plenty of protein to keep me happy for the rest of the afternoon. My boyfriend had a similar platter that had a Greek salad, falafel, gyro with pita, a meat or spinach pie (he got meat), and something else I honestly can't remember. Again, good portion of all food groups represented and he even liked the salad, which he's usually not a fan of.

It was just really refreshing to not get a GIANT portion of food swimming gravy and sauce. And there were vegetable everywhere and they were delicious (tabbouleh is one of my favorite things ever as well). You can certainly eat out well if you know what you're doing.

Of course, on the flip side we went to a pub later that night and I made the mistake of ordering fish and chips. Fried food tense to make me feel sick (that would be my body rejecting deep frying). Lesson learned- avoid fried food at all costs.

In any case, I'm heading home tomorrow, meaning I'll be starting actively working out and eating better. When I went to the doctor last weekend, I was right at 140, so that's our starting weight. I don't really believe in weighing myself and prefer to go more by how I look, but I'm thinking my goal is somewhere in the 125-130 range. Hopefully we'll start seeing some progress soon though!

Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment