Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My irrational scale-o-phobia

As most people working to lose weight, weighing yourself is an important component. I like to say, "Oh, I don't believe in weighing myself," but we all know that's a dirty lie. YES, I prefer to go by how I look, since everyone's body type is different. BUT we all know that stepping on the scale and noticing even a pound or two of weight loss is extremely exciting. I've heard advice ranging from weighing yourself daily to only once a week or even once a month. This article suggests that the number of times a person weights themselves is dependent largely on their personality. If someone likes control and constant feedback, then weighting more frequently is beneficial, where as an easily discouraged person might benefit more from less frequent weighings. They also make other good points, such as your weight fluctuates from day to day because of water weight, and even from month to month for women. They also stressed the importance of other factors, like how you feel, how your clothes fit, and your own perception.

That being said, I finally pulled my mom's scale out of her closet and weighed myself. It was about 143, which means I probably haven't gained, and I probably have't lost. But, I do feel a lot better, and I've been eating better food and a lot less. I can't really expect to weigh less after less than a week anyway.

But oddly, I don't feel discouraged. I feel a lot better, which is definitely something. Then I read some Bitch Cakes and I feel all inspired again. I'm gonna go get lunch soon, which will hopefully be something delicious and good for me (need to see what's in the fridge first). Then I'm planning on doing more shopping, which means more walking for a few hours. It got cold here, so walking outside might be difficult, but I'm gonna see what I can do.

I CAN DO THIS. This is going to be so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment