Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Sneaky Snack Spiral

So every now and then, I fall into this horrible downward spiral of snacking. It always starts with a well intentioned healthy snack so my stomach will stop growling, but then the eating doesn't stop.

Last night, after working on a paper for about three and a half hours, I decided to stop by the on campus ala carte place and grab a snack. I had eaten a really early dinner and it was going on 9:30 or 10:00. I was excited to find they had my favorite vegan apple bars, so I bought one with the good intentions of having that to hold me over until morning.

Then I saw it. A pack of S'Mores Pop Tarts. Normally, I don't like Pop Tarts. They're far too sugary for my liking and usually they taste really good, but I feel sick almost immediately after consuming them But about one every year and a half, I really, really want one. So I figured I would buy the Pop Tart, harmlessly, for a snack later. Little did I know, this was just the beginning.

I came home and at my vegan apple bar. Yum. But then I decided I should have a Pop Tart. Just one. Which- shockingly is all I ate. Normally the Sneaky Snack Spiral dictates I eat everything in my path.

So I head over to the boyfriend's apartment. What I had forgotten was that I had a whole bad of gingerbread marshmallows at the boyfriend's. Marshmallows are kind of like potato chips- you can't eat just one... or two... or eight. I honestly have no idea how many I ate, but it was somewhere between seven and twelve. And then the bottle of Bailey's I had brought over became entirely too tempting- I drank half a glass of that as well. And then boyfriend had Taco Bell... which made me want to eat some of his. I stole bites of a cheese roll up I didn't even want.

And that is the danger of the Sneaks Snack Spiral. It makes you eat things you don't even want to eat. It's tragic and is the surest way to ruin a day of healthy eating. Beware my friends, beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment