Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recipe Review: Pork chops with shallots and mushrooms.

So I recently discovered Gina's Skinny Recipe's, and I might be in love. There are so many fantastic looking recipes on there, but when I saw the pork chops with shallots and mushrooms I knew I had to try this one first. I love mushrooms entirely more than I should, and I've eaten a lot of fish and chicken recently, so I thought pork chops (which I'm not usually a fan of, by the way) would be a nice change. I'd never actually cooked pork before, so I was a little nervous, but this recipe was super easy AND delicious. My boyfriend came over for dinner last night, and he really liked it to, His only complaint was that he was hungry a few hours later.

Since I almost always eyeball measurements, some of my measurements were a little off. I could have done with more mushrooms (but again, I love them) but other than that, it turned out great. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much flavor the dijon mustard and parsley added, especially since I don't usually like mustard. But overall, I'm really pleased with this recipe and I'm planning on eating off the leftovers the next couple days.

I also tried the roasted cauliflower recipe they suggested as a side, which I was less impressed with. Maybe I just did it wrong, but the cauliflower didn't seem to cook all the way through or something. The addition of garlic to the cauliflower was really good though. I think next time I might just steam the cauliflower, since that's pretty hard to mess up.

Overall, I think this is a great recipe, it's healthy, and really great. It might be good served with or over rice also, and that might help bulk up the fiber content, or be good for people like my boyfriend who have bigger appetites. There's a mushroom soup recipe I really want to try, so perhaps we'll have a review on that soon!

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment