Sunday, December 19, 2010

There's something about being home...

...that makes me feel so much better about myself. It might be because I do a lot less snacking. It might also be that I eat a lot better and out a lot less, because my mom cooks and when she cooks, you can expect plenty of veggies. Like for dinner tonight, brisket with roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots, some sort of squash and zucchini stew, and some salad with my mom's homemade dressing. LOOK AT ALL THOSE VEGGIES. Those are like...more vegetables in one day than I've eaten in the last week (exaggeration, but still). Super tasty though. Of course, I also had some of my mom's banana pudding and a chocolate that boyfriend's sister made me, but 'tis the season I suppose. I also walked around the mall for about two hours- that counts for something, right?

I'm trying to decide when I want to do my crunches and stuff right now. I'm going to try it before going to bed tonight, but I might start doing them in the morning. Better yet, I might split the workout between both, to make myself more likely to be consistent. Who knows?

But seriously, I love being home because I always seem to eat pretty well, for the most part. I guess I need to figure out how to harness this good eating-ness and bring it back to school with me. I think eating out less and midnight Taco Bell runs stopping may be the key. We'll have to see.

And now, as a bonus (!!!) here's my very favorite salad dressing recipe. It's literally one of the only salad dressings I like, since most are much too greasy in my opinion. I always kind of eyeball the measurements, but you can also make a big batch and keep it in a jar and spoon a little out for each salad.

Ingredients:
Red wine vinegar
Oil (any kind will work, I usually use canola, vegetable, or olive)
Italian seasoning
Seasoned salt.

I like my dressing with a lot of kick, but you might want to start off with half and half vinegar and oil and then adjust to taste. Then you just add some seasoned salt and a generous helping of Italian seasoning and there you are.

I typically will make my salad first and let it sit while I cook the rest of my meal so that is can adsorb all the flavors. Usually I dish the dressing into the bottom of the bowl and add green onions, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers etc. Then I set the salad on top and let that hang out in the fridge until it's time to eat. Then I toss and eat. Yum! I especially like this with romaine or iceberg lettuce, because it absorbs all the dressing, but you can make it with just about anything. My roommate made it with spinach and carrots once and really liked it too, because it's so versatile.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment